Posted on November 8, 2012 by Jacqui Toumbas
A very important part of a traditional wedding ceremony is the wedding cake. For different cultures and communities, the wedding cake signifies a lot of different things, from fertility to a happy life and many more. It is however, not as easy to get the best wedding cake especially when you don’t have that much to spend for it. For such situations, you need to think on your feet and get resourceful with DIY wedding ideas that will be super practical but not cause even the slightest dip in taste and elegance.
If you love browsing the net for various DIY wedding ideas, you’ll stumble on a few how to sites on wedding cakes. For instance, marthastewartweddings.com is one site where you can find great wedding ideas from gift baskets, to wedding cakes, to invitations and more. Some other useful websites to help you with you wedding troubles include theknot.com, weddingbee.com, stylemepretty.com, weddings.about.com, thekitchn.com (for DIY wedding ideas related to food) and many others.
How To Make A Simple and Delectable Wedding Cake
Homemade wedding cakes don’t have to be just some plain flavored sponge cake. You can create a five star and high class wedding cake without blowing off your entire wedding budget on just the cake alone. The recipe below is a chocolate and hazelnut cake with white butter cream icing. It doesn’t matter whether you are not a professional. Just have all the ingredients ready and follow the instructions for incredible cake DIY wedding ideas.
For the cake you will need:
2-3/4 pack of instant cake mix. If you don’t have time to make chocolate fudge, just get a chocolate cake mix.
- 2-3/4 hazelnut spread
- 1-1/3 cups milk
For the butter cream frosting, you will need:
- 1 tub of instant white butter cream frosting
- Confectioner’s sugar to taste and for consistency
Here are the instructions to make your chocolate hazelnut wedding cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C for about 20 minutes.
- Follow the instruction manual at the back of your cake mix packet. Stir until only small lumps are visible.
- Incorporate the hazelnut mix portion by portion. Depending on how you want the cake to taste, balance the chocolate and hazelnut flavor.
- Using two round baking pans, non-stick if possible, bake the batter for around 25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted slides off easily and cleanly.
- Cool at room temperature and set aside.
For the white frosting, you simply need to stir in top speed the entire content of the instant frosting mix, adding confectioner’s sugar gradually until the icing is stiff enough to form medium to hard peaks. For your DIY wedding ideas for the cake toppers, to save more money, you can use pictures of you as a couple. Simple attach two pictures back to back with some double sided tape on to a popsicle stick and insert in anywhere on the cake. You can use just one for the top or use as many as you like showing off your journey as a couple to husband and wife.